Why attend the Summit?
Join top business, academic and policy decision-makers in one of the world’s leading innovation ecosystems. Hear from influencers, share best practices with enablers and experience first hand what it takes to lift your region into global contention.
The Waterloo Innovation Summit is a partnership between the University of Waterloo and Communitech.
- Sept 16
- Sept 17
- Sept 18
Up Close and Personal: An Insider’s View of the Waterloo Region Ecosystem
From the outer limits of pure research to the on-the-ground realities of tech commercialization, this guided tour takes you into the innovative heart of a globally ranked ecosystem. Meet the players and visit:
- One of the world’s great innovation universities: the University of Waterloo. The University’s top-ranked Faculties of Mathematics and Engineering and Institute for Quantum Computing
- The region’s globally recognized innovation and commercialization hub: Communitech Hub
- The world’s foremost centre for foundational physics: Perimeter Institute for Theoretical Physics
- A world-renowned startup incubation space focused on building great software companies: University of Waterloo’s Velocity Garage
- A tech leader building the future of human-computer interaction: Thalmic Labs
- The world’s first truly integrated learning platform (started and grown in Waterloo Region): D2L
- Google’s largest Canadian development lab, soon to expand to a new 200,000 square foot facility: Google
The Waterloo Region Innovation Ecosystem
Ranked in the Startup Compass report as one of the Top 20 startup ecosystems in the world, Waterloo Region is home to Canada’s most innovative university and a thriving entrepreneurial community. More than 5,000 leaders from around the world visit every year with a view to understanding the causes of its success. This makes Waterloo Region an ideal location to convene global leaders interested in building robust innovation ecosystems.
- Influencers on Waterloo Region
- Influencers on UWaterloo
- Home to visionaries
- See Summit on a map
Waterloo Region location
“Waterloo has a similar energy to Silicon Valley. The thing that works in Silicon Valley is the sense of community, support and mentorship and Waterloo has that same sort of feeling.”
“To actually see what’s going on here, it’s impressive, and it’s certainly not something I’m going to forget anytime soon.”
“There are a lot of winners in this room. We’ve already invested in some of the startups we met with this morning.”
Waterloo, Ontario, Canada
Waterloo Region is approximately one hour southwest of Toronto and Pearson International Airport. We are a close-knit community of 550,000 people with more than eight million people living within a 200-kilometre (120-mile) radius. Major lifestyle and economic centres such as New York, Chicago, Boston, Cleveland, Philadelphia and Detroit are all within a day’s driving distance.